The original recipe for the Barefoot Contessa’s Cape Cod Chopped Salad recipe is right here. Per serving, it amounts to 22 Points! And the points mainly come from the salad dressing that you make for this salad. So, I’m going to give you an alternative if you do not want to make the salad dressing and fiddle with it. Like I did, but I did get it just right. It just takes some experimenting to see what non point flavors you want to add to get the dressing just right.
As a result with tweaking the recipe just so, we are now looking at the new recipe being 4 points per serving. Below are the new recipe adjustments:
- Replace 8 ounces of thick cut bacon with 6 slices of Turkey Bacon ⇒ 6 Points (down from 11 Points)
- Omit 1/2 cup of walnut halves entirely and replace with 4.5 teaspoons of toasted Sesame Seeds ⇒ 2 Points (down from 12 Points)
- Replace 1/2 cup of dried cranberries with 1.5 tablespoons of Ocean Spray Reduced Sugar Dried Cranberries ⇒ 2 Points (down from 14 Points)
- Omit 6 ounces of blue cheese entirely and replace with 1¼ cups of Athenos Fat Free Feta Cheese ⇒ 1 Point (down from 23 Points)
- Replace 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup with 3 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup ⇒ 0 Points (down from 4 Points
- Replace 2/3 cup of olive oil with 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil ⇒ 4 Points (down from 23 Points).
You wil also add chicken broth and water to make your dressing. I started off with 1/3 cup of chicken broth and a drop or two of cold water. Make sure you put all the dressing ingredients in a blender so that it mixes well. You may want to add more orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, sugar free maple syrup. Just play with it until you get the flavor you want. I promise it is worth it.
Currently there are no points for the sugar free maple syrup. But as a side note, if you like your dressing on the sweeter side, you can add up to 9 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup and it will only be 1 point for the syrup. After 9 tablespoons, it turns to 2 points.
I did not use the arugula since I know my son will not eat it. So, I used 2 salad mix bags and 2 apples instead of 1. Of course, adding these extras in will not change the points value. This is a very hearty salad for barely 4 points per serving.