Here are the top items on my list. Your costs may vary, but on my last trip, I spent under $50:
- Produce – You’ll love how fresh it is and organic choices. Today, I bought green beans and spinach. I didn’t buy it because I had some already from Kroger, but the jicama was $1 cheaper than what I paid.
- Cheese – The cheese selection! If you are a cheese lover like me, then you’ll adore their cheeses. I also love that the ingredients on most of them are so limited and not filled with bad things. I bought one today that tastes like buffalo sauce. it was pretty spicy but great. I also got some Swiss cheese slices.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning – You can’t find this anywhere else. It is perfect for making keto bagels.
- Cauliflower rice
- Almond flour – large bag and good price
- Nuts – Nuts are expensive! Trade Joe’s has a great selection of different choices and the prices are a couple of bucks cheaper than the grocery store most of the time. The BEST price on nuts is usually at Sam’s or Costco, but if you want a special kind or a smaller bag, then this is the way to go.
- Ground Turkey – good price and hormone free varieties
- Coconut Milk – cheapest I’ve seen it
- Cashew Butter – this is a great alternative to peanut butter. I can only find it where it doesn’t have a bunch of added sugar at the health food store, and it is over $6/jar there. It was $3.99 today at Trader Joe’s.
- Kerrygold – If you buy in bulk, you can get is slightly cheaper at Costco, but this is the cheapest price I’ve seen for single packs. It was a penny cheaper than even the local Walmart price.
I’m sure if you step foot inside of Trader Joe’s that you’ll find many more items you want to buy. However, part of staying on a budget is resisting that urge. My advice is to make a list of the 10 things you want. Go around the store and gather those first. Add them up in your mind (if it is $3.69, round up to $4.00, for example). If you have money left in your budget, you can then go back around the store (it’s small) and choose some items you want to try.
I like to refer to Trader Joe’s as an upscale Aldi’s, but since our local Aldi’s redid their stores, that isn’t 100% accurate as a description. It is just a pleasant store. They have fresh cut flowers in the front, so that adds to the atmosphere. I hope you enjoy your trip to Trader Joe’s. If you find a Keto item you can’t live without, let me know!